Fedoras extras

nosp nosp at xades.com
Wed Nov 5 01:05:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 00:51, Law Horne wrote:
> I have heard about fedora extras several times on this list and in a few
> other places. I'm still a little confused as to exactly what it in
> tells. Could someone  point to a doc that would explain this to me in
> detail.

Check out http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/terminology.html...

Excerpts:

Fedora Core:
---
Fedora Core
The distribution: the package set that is included on the set of ISO
images and directory tree blessed by the steering committee and released
as Fedora Core [by the "Fedora Project", defined on
http://fedora.redhat.com].
---

Fedora Extras:
---
Fedora Extras are sets of packages that augment Fedora Core but do not
replace Fedora Core component packages. These packages, like all
packages that are part of The Fedora Project, must conform to the legal
requirements of the project and conform to the Fedora Extras policies.

"Fedora Extras" is a category that applies to multiple repositories. For
example, someone might wish to build a set of packages for high
performance computing use and call it "Fedora Extras HPC"; it would be
one of the Fedora Extras.

Packages in Fedora Extras must be built entirely from software meeting
the open source guidelines; furthermore, packages in Fedora Extras must
be buildable only using software which is in Fedora Core or Fedora
Extras.
---