RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 13:58:25 UTC 2003

> Counter-strike?
> Any game that relies on DirectX?
> Download Accelerator?
> The Sims
>
> I've tried this experiment with Mozilla/OOo/Linux and people refused
> to even try it out. They just took one look at it and demanded Outlook
> Express, MS Office and Windows.

Those are the most challenging people of all. For a lot of people who don't
even know what an outlook is they don't care. "Does it have an email".

For business the same is true. The boss says you use xyz, you use xyz or
have a very good answer why not. And counterstrike generally isnt a good
answer ;). Small business can be challenging because a tiny number of
systems often run a huge range of applications and the business needs them
all on "the computer" while bigger business is happy to deploy systems to
fit needs, and sometimes (not always) is in a position to understand the bigger
shifts to things like thin client, desktop on demand, hot desking, and
'gee we can put 40 services on the same computer now'.

Alan