upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Nov 5 19:20:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:06, Don wrote:
> With advise like "always, always, always put /home on a separate partition"
> (and I've heard that more than once) you'd think the install option that
> says "delete all (Linux) partitions and repartition automatically" would do
> that... create a separate partition for /home

Well, the "always always always" part is purely my opinion, but it's
worked for me in the past.  Other people might argue that putting
various parts of the system on different partitions is pointless 'cos it
causes pain if you ever outgrow a part (you'd need to repartition).

> For experts it's fine, but for the newbie, who is likely to just accept
> defaults to get things installed.... "doing it right" from the start would
> be helpful.

The problem is everyone has a different opinion as to what's right.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves