md5sum doesn't match with BitTorrent

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Nov 5 23:30:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 19:11, Gregory Gulik wrote:
> I used the suggested BitTorrent download of the Fedora isos and the
> first disc is now done but the md5sum doesn't match what's in the MD5SUM
> file that was also downloaded.
>
> Anyone else notice that???
>
> The file does seem to mount correctly with mount -o loop...

That's 'cos it's probably not whole yet.  BitTorrent doesn't download
linearly -- it grabs whatever chunk it can whenever it can, but it
preallocates all the space, which is probably why the disc looks like
it's done.

Wait 'til the whole thing's done, and the MD5 will match.

Re. the person who was asking if checking MD5s is redundant -- you
should always check the MD5s before burning, at least to make sure the
ISO is OK.  Afterwards, media check should be sufficient.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves