Extreme pain trying to report bugs with Fedora Test 3

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Nov 6 12:30:37 UTC 2003

> > Great idea, to make this part of firstboot. That would also be an ideal
> > time to not just ask the question, but mention what bugzilla is for. If
> > there is going to be a FAQ as someone mentioned, I would make that part
>
> Disagree -- firstboot is a bit evil because it is oneshot.  They might decide
> later they do want Bugzilla and have to find access another way, that's a
> MSFT-type clippy-kinda-fragile-helpful trick.

Other than a gut reaction, can you be more specific? Firstboot is there,
it's helpful for most of the students to whom I've taught Linux, and is
well-suited for this type of task.

> Besides, personally I click click click through any such impediments to get to
> the OS to find if my apps are still working :-)   Then I might relax later
> and want to hear about such things.  If it is on the desktop they are at
> least going to investigate it before deleting it.

And you do this presumably because you already know about Bugzilla, etc.
The target audience can be reasonably expected to read the screen if
they are new to the product. :-)  "Because I'll ignore it" is probably
not a substantive argument in this particular case.

> Something on the "start applications" menu button might be good too.
>
> Wherever you mention it, noting that its the place not just for bugs (BUGzilla
> is kind of perjorative) but for RFEs and sorta tech support would be good...
> as would pointing to the mls and ml archive.

Well, bugzilla is not for tech support per se, it's for reporting bugs;
don't want to give the wrong impression (q.v. number of "DUPLICATE" and
"NOTABUG" entries). Mailing lists, Web, Usenet et al. are the proper
tech support outlets -- but I agree with your overall point, which is a
good one.

--
Paul W. Frields <paul at frields.com>