Fwd: Re: network install broken?

Jeff Schoby JAS at GoColumbiaMO.com
Thu Nov 6 15:58:44 UTC 2003

Jeff Schoby  -  Unix Admin
City of Columbia, Missouri
jas at ci.columbia.mo.us
573.874.6320

>>> douglas.furlong at firebox.com 11/6/2003 9:38:30 AM >>>
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:15, Zate wrote:

> > I did an NFS install last night without problems using CD1 to boot
with.

> And I've just burnt my second non-bootable  Disc 1.  Any ideas why
it
> might not boot?  It boots just fine from Advanced Server 2.1 Disc 1.
> burnt the second one at a slower speed (14x) and am using cdrw.

Just a quick thought, which probably won't help.

Have you tried to mount the .iso file via the loopback device, to make
sure that it is readable?

Yes, I have the bittorrent iso's mounted on my web server to do the
http install from.... reads them just fine

I used the boot iso from the images directory from redhat's fedora ftp
site.  it exhibits the behavior I described in my first email.
If I burn the bittorrent iso disc1 to a cd and burn it (which seems to
negate the point of using the 4mb boot iso) OR use the 4mb boot.iso from
the images directory the cd boots, the kernel starts and then panics
when it can't mount a filesystem to read the install/startup scripts
from the cd.