mp3 support

nosp nosp at xades.com
Thu Nov 6 20:32:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 18:53, Antti wrote:
> What package do I need to listen mp3s with rhythmbox?

MP3 support isn't distributed because of license concerns.  Please try to use of a free audio format like ogg (http://www.vorbis.com/), which is already available on multiple platforms (including windows) if at all possible.  This way we will hasten the adoption of these formats and be able to enjoy music without concerns :).

If you must use MP3s for some reason, you can buy a player or have to get the mp3 libraries from places of questionable legality:

Step 1) prepare to get questionable libraries: see below for editing your /etc/yum.conf file
Step 2) install questionable libraries: run "yum install libmad xmms-mp3"

If you just installed Fedora, use yum to get the packages by adding these lines to the end of your /etc/yum.conf:

--- add to /etc/yum.conf
[livna-stable]
name=Livna 3rd party packages with questionable licenses -- use at your own risk
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/0.95/i386/yum/stable
---