mp3 support

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Fri Nov 7 05:58:28 UTC 2003

Antti wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:32, Maynard Kuona wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 20:53, Antti wrote:
>>

>>>What package do I need to listen mp3s with rhythmbox?
>>>

>>Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once!!
>>
>>Its actually a bit of an issue really. Rhythmbox is aplayer written on
>>the Gstreamer Multimedia Framework. See http://www.gstreamer.net . It
>>gets all its codecs from this framework. To play mp3s in gstreamer, you
>>need to tell gstreamer how to do it by installing an appropriate codec
>>and an appropriate plugin. I do not know if the fedora rpms were
>>compiled with mp3 support or not. If they were not, then you have to
>>update gstreamer, install it over again. You could try going to the
>>gstreamer website and following the intructions, but installing
>>gstreamer is a bit harder than the usual ./configure; make; make
>>install. You would also need to make sure a whole lot of packages are
>>installed for gstreamer to be able to use them. For mp3 playback it uses
>>mad. I have also seen lame hanging around there, so it might use lame as
>>well. You have to compile it right because a lot depends on it, like
>>playing movies too. I wold say its better to wit until someone gets
>>updated packages. I am sure freshrpms will have them soon.
>>

>>--
>>

>What about Sound Juicer, what do I need to encode to mp3s? It says its
>not possible with your installation.

Sound Juicer uses the same framework, so its the same. You can encode
into ogg though, but its an issue if yu want to put your ogg files onto
a portable or something. I'd say just wait for a new set of gstreamer
packages with mp3 support. It may just be a matter of installing the
relevant plugins though.