unable to boot after FC1 upgrade

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Fri Nov 7 21:42:39 UTC 2003

I know, this is the test list.... my registration to the fedora-list is
taking a VERY long time ... :-(

Anyway.....

It's an older machine (IBM 2144-86P Aptiva Pentium 60MHz, 96Meg RAM) and I
have to boot from floppy... it won't even boot from the hard drive ('cause I
put in a bigger one than IBM shipped). With RH8 it would boot from the
floppy disk then bring up the system from there... works fine...

Last night I upgraded to FC1 from RedHat 8 and that went OK...

I used the text install because I have never been able to get X working on
this machine.... it's under-powered for GUI anyway...

When I did the upgrade to FC1, I created a boot diskette... but when all is
said and done and I try to boot from there, I just get a message that says
"boot failed"... I tried several times... tried re-inserting the disk etc...
nope.

Now, I try to do the upgrade again, and it just hangs in the "searching for
packages to upgrade" stage. (I left it all night in case it was just "slow")

I was expecting it to basically go through the upgrade process quickly,
giving me a chance to create another boot disk....

Does any body have any ideas how I can get this thing to boot up?

I'm trying to avoid having to do a "clean" install and wipe everything
out.... it's not major, just inconvenient.... :-)

Thanks,
Don

        \|/
       (. .)