yum vs rpm.

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Nov 13 13:44:10 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Kevin Francis wrote:

> Indeed. But the average user thinks this way:
>
> "Ohhhh apt-get is fast! Let's get that!"
>
> I kill yum regularly ( it's a reflex whenever i perform something I
> don't want to ), and experience no lockups.

I kill apt regularly and have yet to see a single lockup on FC1, or on RHL
9 for that matter, *after* updating to rpm-4.2-1. RHL 8.0 and 9 were
pretty much disastrous without getting updated rpm from ftp.rpm.org.

> ALL lockups on the list however are apt-related. I see a pattern. Yes,
> yum is less feature complete, but ... pinning packages, and specifying
> sources per package aren't what normal people do.

Mmm.. I don't remember seeing any apt-related hangs on fedora-lists.. Feel
free to give pointers - I don't claim that apt is bugfree (nothing is :)
but there are many variables here, including apt and rpm versions.

> Yes, right tool for the right job :) Simple
> updates/upgrades/distro-upgrades are yum-able. Pinning etc. ... well the
> power users can use apt.

Sure, yum is far simpler to set up + use and been gaining popularity
hugely within the last year. Nothing wrong with that of course :)

	- Panu -