Xserver --nolisten tcp by default?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Nov 14 00:22:49 UTC 2003

Neal D. Becker wrote:
> It seems that fedora1 changed the Xserver to start with --nolisten tcp by
> default.  That's an important change!  I didn't notice this in the release
> notes!

It probably should have been mentioned in the release notes, since it's
a HUGE security improvement.  The X server runs as root, so listening on
TCP is and always has been an extremely dangerous practice.  It's
probably been the biggest security hole in the default workstation
install for a long long time.

> How to I overide it?

You can look at /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and change the value of
DisallowTCP, or you can use ssh with X11 forwarding.  Two points if you
guess which is recommended.