Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Nov 19 19:28:57 UTC 2003

On Wednesday November 19, 2003 Jesse Keating wrote:
> I do also agree though, that SCSI has advantages for many things, but
> isn't the clear winner for everything.  No technology that I've seen is
> perfect for everybody for everything.

Jesse,

<rant>
AFAIK, SCSI is still the only hard drive interface that supports low level
formatting. I can't tell you the number of IDE/EIDE hard drives I've had
to throw away over the years because power failures during write ops that
corrupt sector headers. Some later model EIDE drives can map those "bad"
spots away, but only SCSI allows you to repair that damage by laying down
new sectors, headers, gaps, etc.

There are only two types of EIDE server drive users:  those who have
already had massive data loss, and those waiting for it to happen. Anyone
betting their business on big cheap EIDE drives rather than SCSI better
have (and religiously use) first class tape backup systems. They're gonna
need 'em because the failure rates for EIDE drives used in 24/7 servers
are between two to three orders of magnitude higher than SCSI.
</rant>

We return you now to your regularly scheduled programming...

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL