Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Fri Nov 21 20:54:03 UTC 2003

> Great!  I'll have a look at them very shortly.  I'm not sure though if I
> want to release a 7.4 update for Fedora Core 1, due to data
> incompatibility reasons.  We usually don't jump major versions within a
> distro, but perhaps this rule can be relaxed for Fedora.  In any case,
> the 7.4 packages will go into Fedora Core 2.

I'm one of those who really likes the idea that backporting will be
minimized.

But since jumping a major version of postgresql would require an initdb,
I would prefer not to do that until there is a reliable way to upgrade.

Otherwise, I have the feeling that way to many people would be shocked
to find that the 'update' they just loaded left them without a running
database. Even worse if they have yum nightly updates turned on...

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please