Fedora Test 2 will not log in to Gnome?

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 01:07:00 UTC 2003

Sean Earp wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I have not been able to install Fedora Test 2 since it came out (RH 9
> and Severn Beta 1 worked just fine).  Today I tried installation with
> the updated Anaconda, and it works. (great!)
>
> However, on the first boot after installation, I can not log on to the
> Gnome desktop.  KDE works just fine.   The interesting thing is that I
> chose the customized install, and had Gnome checked, and KDE UNCHECKED.
>  Just in case I missed something, I have formatted the drive 3 times and
> reinstalled, making SURE that gnome was selected, and KDE was not.  When
> I attempt to log in to gnome, the screen exhibits the same behavior as
> if i choose the "restart X Server" option on the login screen.  Is
> anyone else experiencing this?  Can someone give me the command line
> option to verify that Gnome is even installed? (I'm a linux newbie, so
> be gentle)  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
>
> -Sean

When I installed Severn beta1, I could not get GNOME to get further than
the splash screen startup. This problem was related to the interaction
with my 3Com ethernet. After the card was replaced with a 2 yr newer
3com NIC GNOME, Mozilla and a host of other problems went away.

My guess is that GNOME is outputting to /dev/lockup (in my case it was
my NIC). Basically, I assume that the program is outputting, but not
even to a bit bucket (AKA - like windows blue screen.)

You might have some hardware conflicts which are causing GNOME not to start.

I filed but closed three inactive bugs which GNOME was a casualty. I got
rid of the NIC so the bug is mre for informational, just in case
anything was useful, within my GNOME problem.

Have you tried to boot into int level 3 and start GNOME with startx? I
am curious if you see the splash screen, then GNOME goes no further.

Run the below from a terminal, just to be safe. I take it that you are
using kdm, gdm or some graphical login manager.

switchdesk gnome
startx

Getting into text mode, multiuser was discussed earlier.

Hope it points you to why GNOME fails for you. KDE is my failsafe
windows manager. I like the bluecurve changes to it. I install both.

Jim

--
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.