anaconda performance thoughts [Re: ANNOUNCE: Severn Test 2 Anaconda Updates Image Available]

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 04:09:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:18, Matt Bernstein wrote:
> 1. introduce extra threads to pre-cache the next files from install media
>    (may be a help over the network too) while current RPM is installing

We've discussed this some -- it's a little tricky to pull off sanely
with all of the shenanigans necessary to keep bad CDs from causing
tracebacks (and I can point to piles of bugs in previous releases until
this is finally, I think hopefully, knock on wood, right now).

I also continue to think that the caching is going to trash things more
and cause the actual package installation that's occurring + whatever
%post (especially ldconfig) to be that much slower.  Unfortunately,
that's just a gut feeling that I can't back up until I have some spare
time to do some dirt simple proof of concept benchmarking.

> 2. mount the ext3 target volumes ext2 while installing (this could still
>    apply in days of dir_index and ACLs)

We used to do this in the 7.2 timeframe, but the time difference on an
install was negligible.

> Is Bugzilla the place for these ideas?

Well, bugzilla's not great for discussion, really.  If you have
patches... ;)   Discussion is easier to have either here or on
anaconda-devel-list.  Or even on IRC, though that's less good from an
archival stance.

Cheers,

Jeremy