prefdm really honored??

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Wed Oct 1 23:55:42 UTC 2003

When X starts up, the script /etc/X11/prefdm is executed.
It goes like

> preferred=
> if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
>         . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>         if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
>                 preferred=gdm
>         elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
>                 preferred=kdm
>         elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
>                 preferred=xdm
>         fi
> fi

so I changed /etc/sysconfig/desktop to "KDE" (what I think is stupid, for I don't want to run KDE by default),
but still gdm comes up instead of kdm. Is this a bug or did I miss something? IFIAK this happened in RH8/9, too,
my only solution was to remove gdm.

Christoph

--
Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de>