numlock at boot

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Thu Oct 2 00:56:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:41, Tommy McNeely wrote:
> The default should be BIOS .. laptops generally leave it off in BIOS,
> but a regular desktop will turn it on.. then it works "as it should
> have all long" :)
Last month I would have agreed with you; now it's a toss-up with
tie-breaking deference to previous behavior. Somebody on the list (can't
remember now) pointed out that some broken software depends on numlock
being off. Not the fault of linux/red hat/etc, yet the principle should
be imho to respect previous defaults if the argument can go either way.
-paul