text vs. graphical boot

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 15:24:24 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:07:27PM -0500, stephan schutter wrote:
> Are you planning to cover the ugly/scary/intimidating/non-desktopish
> kernel boot with a splash screen ala Mandrake, SuSE, Lindows, Lycoris,
> Xandros, et. al?

I'd rather work on cleaning up the boot messages so they aren't
so scary -- there's a lot of noise there IMHO.  But that part
really only takes a couple of seconds...

If we do a graphical kernel splash, it's got to be as decent code
that stands a good chance of acceptance upstream.  As I mentioned
before, that doesn't include grovelling through memory looking for
something that resembles a JPEG file.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/