numlock at boot

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Fri Oct 3 11:07:01 UTC 2003

Hi,
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:59:28PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> Thanks for the comments. I've implemented my suggestion, and it works
> "mostly". More specifically, it works for the logon greeter, for xterms
> and tty's, and when su'ing from one user to another or from one user to
> root. It only doesn't work when su'ing from root to a regular user.
I'm not sure switching num lock on 'su' is a good idea.
1) There is no easy way to switch it back to the original state when you
   exit the subshell and no reasonable way at all to handle switching
   between terminal windows (with 'su' to a different user on each
   terminal).
2) In real life, you only use 'su' if the user physically using the
   session is the same, so he probably has the same preferences.

> Note that I don't have a clue how to read the bios settings, so somebody
> is welcome to fill in the "implement later" portion.
If I remember correctly, there is no way to get the led settings back
from the keyboard, and the BIOS setting storage is also not standardized.
	Mirek