Ideas for a new Fedora apt/yum/up2date hierarchy

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Sat Oct 4 22:59:45 UTC 2003

I was thinking. I do not always need to update to the latest versions of
software "for the hell of it" especially if it is something I do not use
much. But some things, like security updates I like to keep up to date
with, pun not intended. So, I am proposing an idea for Fedora's
repository heirarchy. It would be good to be able to apply only the
security updates, so maybe these could have their own 'channel' for lack
of  better word. This is especially useful if you have minimal
bandwidth, but would like security updates quite conveniently. One could
also hae a cron job that checks for security updates. I do not know if
there is a way of doing this with apt or yum or up2date, i.e, selecting
a specific channel to download updates from. So maybe a little
modification for apt would be in order, i.e, introduce apt-get upgrade
<channel-name> to download all updates from a specific channel.To get
security updates one would type apt-get upgrade security, or something
like that. This should also not require a change on the server side too.