dev package does not have /dev/cdrom

Robert L Cochran cochranb at
Sun Oct 5 14:23:11 UTC 2003

I stand corrected.

To my surprise, entries for /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 (cdrom1 would
point to my HP CD Writer) were not created in fstab during the initial
installation of Fedora Core. I don't use CDs much these days so I didn't
notice this till recently.

I removed the graphical boot for this machine and noticed boot time
errors this morning for /dev/cdrom. I then  tried mounting a CD. It failed.

So, there is a configuration script somewhere that is not creating the
right symlinks.

Jos Vos wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 09:33:46AM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>By the way, the dev package isn't listed as a component for Fedora Core
>>in Bugzilla.
>>But anyhow, /dev/cdrom does not seem to be in the dev package. So, I
>>can't mount a CD.
> /dev/cdrom should normally be a symlink to your CD device, like hdc, so
> it shouldn't be in the dev package (and it has never been there, IIRC).
> /dev/cdrom is normally created by Anaconda or some config program.
> Cheers,

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA