dev package does not have /dev/cdrom

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 15:08:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:23:11AM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
 > I stand corrected.
 >
 > To my surprise, entries for /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 (cdrom1 would
 > point to my HP CD Writer) were not created in fstab during the initial
 > installation of Fedora Core. I don't use CDs much these days so I didn't
 > notice this till recently.
 >
 > I removed the graphical boot for this machine and noticed boot time
 > errors this morning for /dev/cdrom. I then  tried mounting a CD. It failed.
 >
 > So, there is a configuration script somewhere that is not creating the
 > right symlinks.

Did you say this was a Vaio CD drive? There have been problems detecting
those, (which may now be fixed as of a day or so ago in the newer PCMCIA
packages).  If there were detection problems at install time, I can
understand why it wouldn't make the symlinks.

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk