laptop install - screen gets white

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Oct 5 15:12:55 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:48:05PM +0200, Rainer Hattenhauer wrote:
> >Hm, that bug is marked as CLOSED RAWHIDE.  Are you sure that 'nofb'
> >is still not mentioned in help?  If not them maybe #89722 should
> >be reopened.
>
> Sorry, again. Seems that my eyes were covered by tomatos, like we're saying
> here in germany. Of cause, it is mentioned in help.
>
> But wouldn't it be better to boot for installation issues in safe state by
> default (e.g. using nofb), I think most of the system will work with this
> option out of the box (?)

I have no idea what is a "safe state" for most systems or even if
something like that exists.  You will have ask somebody else; in
particular folks from Red Hat.  Indeed for laptops I encountered
recently using a frame buffer in anaconda seems to screw up things
pretty badly in different ways and 'nofb' comes to a rescue.

There is also a text installation mode but the problem is that if
you try to use it over a frame buffer and that one misbehaves then
text is of no help at all. OTOH the laptot mentioned in  #89722 had
much easier time in an initial boot using Knoppix CD although
clearly a frame buffer was also in use.  Probably different initial
parameters.

   Michal