syslogd causes hangs

Terry R Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Tue Oct 7 03:55:13 UTC 2003

Sorry if I've missed any prior discussions of this....

After one of the updates to "Beta 1" I noticed that my Fedora "splash
screen" was often hang for a long time (minutes) before giving me a
graphical desktop. ALSO, the graphical access to my home directory and
sub-directories was S-L-O-W. (minutes).  Other programs, such as mail
and browsers, however, seemed to work just fine.

Tonight I installed updates to Beta 2. The Fedora splash screen simply
hung. (Never went to a desktop)  I got to a text screen, and did some
poking around. Finally discovered that if I *killed* the syslogd process
my splash screen immediately "processed" and I got a graphical desktop.
Also, graphical access to my home directory worked like a charm. But of
course my syslogd daemon is now dead. Oh yes, if I manually restart the
daemon, such things as the graphical access to my home directory once
again go into the dumper. (Although command line manipulation of the
directory structure works without a problem).

Feedback would be appreciated.

Terry
--
Terry R Linhardt <linhardt at swbell.net>