Supporting NTFS in the kernel

Thorsten Leemhuis thleemhuis at htp-tel.de
Tue Oct 7 18:08:59 UTC 2003

Am Mon, den 06.10.2003 schrieb Marc Schwartz um 18:27:
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 10:47, Samuel Flory wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > > Would it be possible to add some parts of the linux-ntfs-ng driver (or
> > > maybe code hooks) so that they, or somebody else, could provide rpm
> > > packages for the new ntfs driver module? The linux-ntfs Project
> > > currently provides only rpms for the *old* ntfs driver (AFAICS)?
> > >

> >     What sort of hooks are needed?  What is stopping someone from
> > compiling and distributing a module in an rpm?
>

> Has anyone attempted the instructions at the bottom of:
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html
>
> "How was it done?"
>
> where there are some brief instructions and links for a script file and
> a spec file to create the RPM.
>
> I have not yet had the time to work through it, but that seems like a
> reasonable way to start.

But this is for the old, not SMP aware, NTFS driver. For the new one a
kernel recompile seems to be necessary AFAICS. Don't know if they need
something special in the kernel or if they are to lazy to make a
separate module compile possible on top of a kernel-source-tree as the
one from redhat (with correct version/modversions/autoconf/...). Maybe
someone with more know-how in the linux-kernel can answer...

[...]

Cu
thl