Why the .org on OpenOffice

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Wed Oct 8 21:15:20 UTC 2003

William Hooper wrote:
> According to the USPTO (www.uspto.gov) it was E-Mail Incorporated
> Corporation of Pasadena California.  Interestingly enough, both "Open
> Office" and "OpenOffice.org" are listed as "abandoned" trademarks.

This is strange. Check the "PROSECUTION HISTORY" here,
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=76087516
near the bottom. Looks like the mark was refused in November or December
of 2001.

But the same infor for OpenOffice,
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=74315910
show that mark being abandoned in 1993, well before Sun tried to
register OpenOffice.org. I'm sure if it was truly dead, Sun would have
used it.

So, the USPTO data looks useless for this task.

Perhaps someone in LA could try contacting the lawyer for more info?

Correspondent (Owner)
Cheri B. Lemons (Attorney of record)

CHERI B. LEMONS
GILBERT, KELLY, CROWLEY & JENNETT