getting pine to run under fedora 0.94 -- a couple issues

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 09:38:41 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  a couple issues regarding getting pine to run under fedora 0.94. as i
>found out, you can't just download and re-install a recent pine binary RPM
>on to fedora, as the kerberos libs have changed and don't supply the
>required libcom_err.so.3 that pine is looking for.  so, in case you're
>trying to do just that, here's what seems to work.
>
>  provided you don't need kerberos support in pine, grab a source
>RPM and install it:
>
>  # rpm -ivh pine...src.rpm
>
>  go to the install directory, edit the pine.spec file, and add the line
>
>%define   nokerberos    1
>
>  save, exit, and
>
>  # rpmbuild -bb pine.spec
>
>that should give you a usable pine binary rpm.  and the second point.
>
>  when i asked about this on another list, i'm sure i was pointed to a
>filed bugzilla entry on this.  just now, i tried to query for this report,
>but was utterly unable to find it.  i tried to be as general as possible,
>"fedora", "test2", didn't even specify a status or anything. but got no
>hits.
>
>  can someone provide the magic incantation that would have produced this
>bug report, based on the relevant keywords?  sometimes, bugzilla can be
>maddeningly non-productive.

Here are my current pine src.rpm, which should compile on any Red
Hat Linux release cleanly, including rawhide/Fedora:

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/pine/pine-4.58-1.src.rpm

This is a binary compiled on Red Hat Linux 8.0, which works for
me in 8.0:

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/pine/pine-4.58-1.i386.rpm

I will continue to unofficially maintain pine rpms in this manner
as long as I still use pine personally most likely.  In the
future, I might move the package into Fedora Extras or whatever
is appropriate, or I might put up yum/apt metadata files so
people can add my repository to their default config and get pine
(and other software) from there.  I don't have anything set up
yet though...