redhat-config-xfree86-0.9.9-2 Traceback on a dual head ATI

Mark Heslep mark at mitre.org
Fri Oct 10 04:08:13 UTC 2003

>Let me know how you make out fiddling/testing. Be sure to use
>4.3.0-37 or later.

Well I hope you'll find Ive done due diligence here before you go
popping cards.  Yes I'm definately using the same PCI BusID in both
sections and yes to Screen 0, Screen 1. Yes Ive been using -37.

Setup details:
Primary  monitor = NEC LCD 1860 connected via DVI.  ( I call it the
primary becuase its the console boot monitor)
Secondary is the Dell P991 connected via VGA/DVI adapter.

Im suspecting some issue with the DDC probe(?):  The the primary LCD
works fine and the Dell CRT powers on but then the front panel sync
light starts flashing which Im guessing means its being driven with the
wrong sync.  The LCD is running straight DVI from card to display but as
the Dell is running  through a VGA/DVI adapter ( FireGL is dual DVI )
Im wondering if the DDC can work through the adapter.  Or does it need
to since Im specifying vertical / horizontal refresh in my Monitor
section?   I have the 'MonitorLayout' line in there because without it I
get zilch.
Two other things that might  be significant:

1) My Intel AGP is a little too new and requires an

>   options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

in modules.conf.   I suppose thats relevant only for DRI which is only
supported on the fglrx drivers.

2) I notice in the X log below that EDID reports only on Monitor _2_ and
calls it the NEC?

Anyway on to the details:

> $ rpm -q XFree86
> XFree86-4.3.0-37

my XF86Config

> [...]
>     DisplaySize  360    290
>     HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
>     VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
>     Option        "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> #Section "Monitor"
> #    Identifier   "Monitor1"
> #    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
> #    ModelName    "NEC LCD1860N"
> #    DisplaySize  360    290
> #    HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
> #    VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
> #    Option        "dpms"
> #EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor1"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "Dell P991"
>         DisplaySize  360        290
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 107.0
>         VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
> #------------------------------------
>
> # Video device driver sections ----------------------------
> #Head 0
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
>     Driver      "radeon"
>     VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>     BoardName   "ATI FireGL X1"
>     Screen 0
>       BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
>
> #AGPMode only used w/ DRI  #  Option       "AGPMode" "4"
> #  Option       "AGPFastWrite" "on" ##### must be OFF #####
> #  Option       "ForcePCIMode" "on"
> #  Option       "DDCMode" "on"
>
> #  MonitorLayout overrides DDC (autodetection)
>   Option      "MonitorLayout" "TMDS, CRT"
> EndSection
>
> #Head 1
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Videocard1"
>     Driver      "radeon"
>     VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>     BoardName   "ATI FireGL X1"
>     Screen 1
>     BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
> # use mem offset so we try the same pci address as Head0
> #    MemBase         0xe0000000
> #    IOBase         0xfe9e0000
> #  Option       "DDCMode" "on"
> EndSection
>

> #---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # Screen sections to bind driver to monitor and set res. ---------------
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen0"
>     Device     "Videocard0"
>     Monitor    "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth     24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth     24
>         Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> "800x600" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen1"
>     Device     "Videocard1"
>     Monitor    "Monitor1"
>     DefaultDepth     24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth     24
>         Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"

Log to follow....

Mark