Image viewer, Nautilus and smb shares.

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 16:14:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 17:49, Mattias Dahlberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GNOME 2.4's vfs for smb is better than ever. Browsing smb shares
> using Nautilus works smoothly.
>
> Now I wonder if there's an image viewer for GNOME that understands
> gnome-vfs well enough to open images located on an smb share?
>
> Gedit is able to open text files (although it prompts for password)
> but I haven't found an image viewer yet. Eye of Gnome seems to give
> it a shot, but fails with "Access denied".

Yeah. This is because authentication isn't shared between processes, and
eog isn't calling the "set up password dialog" function (you could
request this in gnome bugzilla). It probably works on smb shares where
you don't have to log in.

I'm currently working (when not fixing Fedora bugs) on support for out
of process authentication sharing for gnome 2.6, so eventually we'll get
it.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a deeply religious small-town assassin with a passion for fast cars.
She's an artistic tempestuous socialite in the witness protection program.
They fight crime!