DRI missing!

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 10 18:01:36 UTC 2003

On October 9, 2003 05:33 am, Mike A. Harris <"Mike A. Harris"
<mharris at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> >GL_EXT_bgra not supported - bailing out.
> >
> >History:
> >
> >Exiting due to error
> >
> >I have the Nvidia driver installed, and i have played it before under
> >Fedora test 2.
> >
> >Is it a bug in XFree ?
>
> XFree86 does not, and has never supported DRI on any Nvidia video
> hardware.  You will never have the DRI extension for any Nvidia
> card using any video driver with XFree86.  The only way to get 3D
> acceleration with the Nvidia hardware you have is to use Nvidia's
> proprietary video drivers (which do not use DRI, but use their
> own method of doing direct rendering), or to use some other 3rd
> party proprietary driver.

... pardon my ignorance, Mike, but I've noticed this same error
message when some screensavers are invoked. The instructions
for installing the nVidia drivers, mention *removing* the reference
to DRI in  /etc/X11/SF86Config. Correct?

Would the reinsertion of that line, "re-enable" DRI? I haven't actually
deleted it, but simply placed a REM (#) in front of it.

Elton.

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.