MySQL-4

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Oct 10 18:02:38 UTC 2003

>>> This was regaurding a free, but for noncommercial use, player that has a
>>> license for the MP3 patents. That means it's not GPL, because of the
>>> non-commercial uses clause.
> There is non-commercial exemption to the MP3 patent licenses available.

I thought that wasn't enough yet. Some confusion about weather selling a
  collection that included the encoder/decoder could be considered a
commercila use. If not then the players/ripper just need a new license.

>>> is the GPL on MySQL libs (not LGLP), is keeping MySQL at an old version
>>> too. That make some sense, since I can see people creating commercial
> Thats also because the new mysql can't be combined with PHP.

Any pointers on that? I don't uses PHP at all, but would like the newer
MySQL for linux. New to databases, but the MySQL option to buy a license
for commercial use is nice. If someone (my employer?) wanted to sell
something I developed, a commercial license could be aquired, without
having to rewrite anything. MySQL 4 has a few new features I'm
interested in.

	-Thomas