advanced configuration options in redhar-config-xfree86

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 10 18:12:57 UTC 2003

> I definitely agree users should be able to choose their refresh
> rate easily somehow, and that the default should be as high as
> possible that the given hardware combination they're using.  The
> X server automatically does that if the config file ranges are
> specified correctly, but the user may want to limit the lower
> limit to keep it within EU safety range.

I seem to remember seeing something on devel<at>xfree86.org about plans
to allow configuration of a _preferred_ refresh rate, to prevent the X
server from picking a stupidly high-res 60Hz mode instead of a
higher-refresh lower-res mode. I think it had something to do with the
auto-configuration discussion, but I can't seem to find the post now.

If X does gain the ability to be easily told a preferred refresh rate,
that'd be a nice solution to the issue that wouldn't be dependent on
manual user configuration or desktop-specific tweaks.

Craig Ringer