How to setup ..... (really documentation)

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 04:36:25 UTC 2003

Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> I missed the start of this thread, since the subject line says
> nothing about documentation at all. So I am diving in with not
> much context.
>
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:44:05PM -0400 or thereabouts, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>For finding the particular documentation, a search engine of some type
>>has worked for our operation.

I launch IE through some code in M$ Access. This code is associated to
the part numbers for each product sold. I basically launch IE to find my
information page. (list of steps needed to keep product current,
formatted in HTML.) From there are links that when clicked will open
files that are associated to applications.

I was thinking that a basic info page could be developed for each
program (getting its information from the application program name
argument. (argc or argv, been to long out of toying with programming.)
This could launch the info page for each application. Then you will be
able to launch the files by clicking on the link within the information
page.

Using a visual shell such as mc might give good results. But for the
link pages, something like lynx as an engine could be tried.

Whatever is used for the purpose, it should be compatible with the
command line, if possible Then a GUI engine and file launcher can be
used. Nautilus has both browser and file association capabilities. It
sounds easier to get this to work with a filter, application launcher,
etc: But for the blind and those using the termnal alone, basic non-gui
programs seem to be the best choice.

  I think that a search engine that brings
>>up the basic intro for a program or process would be a handy feature.
>>This would allow a uniform starting point. Then the differences with the
>>formats can be addressed through links that will launch a program that
>>will read the documentations.
>

> Are you describing scrollkeeper here?
>
> http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net

I checked it out, then tried to search for an item. I came back with no
results online.

I couldn't figure out how to use scrollkeeper for anything yet. It
doesn't appear to be useful for anything. Something like htdig on a
local machine might be more inline with what I was referring to. Find
the link, click on it, get lists of links to documentation.

> Used by KDE and Gnome and thus already shipped on distros which
> carry either of them.
>
> Telsa

I just tried out the help file. I aven't tried it out for awhile. This
works pretty much as I was describing. I only looked up information on
grub. It showed information that I was asking about.

I then right clicked on the battery ICON and on a few other applets,
then chose help. It launched the right documentaton for the application.
Great job on those features for finding help. The help menus on the
applications are great also.

I've avoided using the help feature because of working on the other OS.
RH help seems to be useful. It is not a deadend.

I didn't start the offshoot for the documetation. But it was a large
departured thread. Just shooting out some ideas for helping all users
navigate and find what is helpful information.

Jim

--
Dreams are free, but you get soaked on the connect time.