RH9 to Fedora migration

Martin Sturm martin at wolkje.net
Sat Oct 11 12:36:06 UTC 2003

> I don't have the answer to your question. I presume you want to avoid
> the painful download times to get CDs, not to mention competing for ftp
> server bandwidth shortly after a release.
>
> So, without answering your question, can I mention that Bittorrent is
> really, really good for downloading huge files like ISOs? You can get a
> download started immediately, and it works very efficiently. I'll take
> Bittorrent any day if it is available for downloading a desired CD. It
> beats ftp servers!
>
> Bob
>

> Angela Kahealani wrote:
>
> > Is it possible, and if so where is it documented,
> > to change / update / add-to the set of repositories visited by up2date
> > to cause up2date to work from fedora RPMs, instead of having to burn
> > install CDs of fedora and install it over RH9? In, other words,
> > is it possible to update from RH9 to Fedora, or is installation required?

I've read somewhere that Up2date is not meant for upgrade between
different versions of a distro, similar to apt-get of Debian. So I
presume this is not a recommended way of installing Fedora on a RH9
machine. One of the main problems I think is the fact that up2date
standard is only capable of upgrading packages which are already
installed on the system, and has not the ability to automatically add
packages to the existing installtion. So for example the graphical
boot-program and OpenOffice 1.1 cannot be installed by up2date
automatically.

Downloading and burning the isos is the recommended way and I guess the
easiest one.

Martin