Evolution Cruft

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sat Oct 11 14:38:56 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 01:23, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > When ever I close evolution, evolution-alarm-notify and evolution-wombat
> > remain running.  Is this a bug or a feature?  I would think that when I
> > close evolution, it would close completely.  Now, if I close evolution
> > and then log out, evolution-alarm-notify and evolution-wombat both get
> > added to my gnome session and then gnome tries to start them back up
> > when I log back in.  I have "auto save session" enabled which I guess I
> > could disable, though I would think that evolution should close out
> > entirely.
>
> This is a feature, and I think evolution has always done this (nothing new
> to Severn about this).  As you might guess "evolution-alarm-notify" is
> there to notify you about alarms that you might have set in your calendar.
> If this wasn't running, you wouldn't get notified about calendar alarms.
> It doesn't cause any problems in my experience, though I suppose if you
> never use the alarm feature you could look into disabling it.

Interestingly enough, though, on my system evolution-wombat remains
running after logging out of a GNOME session. Apparently this blocks the
bonobo-activation-server from stopping, and upon trying to login to
GNOME again, this causes the gnome-settings-daemon to issue numerous
errors and refuse to start applets in the panel. I think other people on
fedora-test-list have mentioned having this problem also, so I BZ'd it
as well, after trying to make sure no one else had. Anyone else out
there care to relay their experiences in this matter?
--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE