Evolution Cruft

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 15:45:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 10:38, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 01:23, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > > When ever I close evolution, evolution-alarm-notify and evolution-wombat
> > > remain running.  Is this a bug or a feature?  I would think that when I
> > > close evolution, it would close completely.  Now, if I close evolution
> > > and then log out, evolution-alarm-notify and evolution-wombat both get
> > > added to my gnome session and then gnome tries to start them back up
> > > when I log back in.  I have "auto save session" enabled which I guess I
> > > could disable, though I would think that evolution should close out
> > > entirely.
> >
> > This is a feature, and I think evolution has always done this (nothing new
> > to Severn about this).  As you might guess "evolution-alarm-notify" is
> > there to notify you about alarms that you might have set in your calendar.
> > If this wasn't running, you wouldn't get notified about calendar alarms.
> > It doesn't cause any problems in my experience, though I suppose if you
> > never use the alarm feature you could look into disabling it.
>
> Interestingly enough, though, on my system evolution-wombat remains
> running after logging out of a GNOME session. Apparently this blocks the
> bonobo-activation-server from stopping, and upon trying to login to
> GNOME again, this causes the gnome-settings-daemon to issue numerous
> errors and refuse to start applets in the panel. I think other people on
> fedora-test-list have mentioned having this problem also, so I BZ'd it
> as well, after trying to make sure no one else had. Anyone else out
> there care to relay their experiences in this matter?

Yup, this is the same thing that is happening to me.  I just made a
wrapper around evolution that kills evolution-alarm-notify and
evolution-wombat when I close down evolution.  It is a hack, but it
let's me log back into Gnome without the error messages.

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb
Senior Programmer Analyst