Adjusting Bluecurve to follow Fitts' Law

Mattias Dahlberg p00mda at du.se
Sun Oct 12 11:27:58 UTC 2003

Hi,

If you're like me and still use some maximized windows maybe you've
noticed that you have to target the close button instead of just placing
the pointer in the top-right corner of the screen.

The following adjustment to Bluecurve makes it follow Fitts' Law, i.e.
makes using the widgets easier when the window is maximized. [1]

Edit /usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml and
change the first occurence of:

<border name="button_border" left="1" right="1" top="2" bottom="2">

to:

<border name="button_border" left="1" right="0" top="0" bottom="2">

Done.

I have to add though that this is not the ultimate solution as you're
forced to change the appearance of the widgets to achive this goal. It
would be nicer if the widgets followed Fitts' Law by default, but as
long as that doesn't happen this will have to do.

[1] And in fact easier when the window is not maximized as well, as the
widgets become bigger. The result: http://users.du.se/~mda/bc-fitts.jpg

Regards,
Mattias