XFree86 available via yum

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 12 22:50:46 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I have made XFree86 available via yum on people.redhat.com.  This
> is my first time setting up a yum repository, and I've never used
> the yum client, so I have no idea how successful this is
> currently.  I've pointed out the repository to many people in IRC
> for a day and a half and gotten no good nor bad feedback, so I
> determined that wasn't the best place to look for testers or
> feedback.
>
> Please test the repository out, and feel free to provide feedback
> both good and/or bad about it.
>
> 	ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable
>
> XFree86-4.3.0-39 is there right now for x86, ppc, x86_64, and ia64

I installed the new versions from the repository. I then tried going to
the system settings >> display. It asked for a password, but did not go
any further.

Running the script from a gnome-terminal gave me this error. I logged
out to X to a terminal, then after startx, tried the display command
mentioned above.

  /usr/bin/redhat-config-xfree86
* ddcprobe returned bogus values:
ID:   HSD1508
Name: ?FZP?
HorizSync: None
VertSync:  None

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xconf.py", line 406, in ?
     dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, vc)
   File "/usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xConfigDialog.py", line 327,
in __init__
     self.setup_ui_resolution(self.state.get_resolution())
   File "/usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xConfigDialog.py", line 50, in
setup_ui_resolution
     self.res_option_menu.set_history(current)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'current' referenced before assignment

Xfree seems to be working normally, other than the display. The loading
seems to be good and the clarity is human percieved "better ad crisper"

Jim

--
The shortest distance between any two puns is a straight line.