What is up2date repackaging?

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 21:41:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:37:13PM -0700, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> I just noticed that /var in FC Beta2 was taking up an extraordinary
> amount of space.  I originally thought that it was /var/spool/up2date,
> but I noticed that there was a /var/spool/repackage directory containing
> over 1GB of rpm packages.  I do recall seeing a 'Repackaging' screen in
> up2date, but I wasn't sure what it was doing.  Does anyone know what
> up2date is doing?

	you have enableRollbacks turned on for some reason. Set
that to 0 in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and it will stop
creating repackage rpms (aka, rollback rpms)

> Also, I am getting the problem with up2date trying to update rpms that
> are already installed.  I can verify that these rpms have several
> versions installed.  I thought that this must be something to do with
> the up2date rollbacks, because this started happening when I setup the
> rollback option in up2date.  Did anyone bugzilla this?

details about the packages (aka, name, version, release, arch) of
whats installed, and what it's trying to install. a `rpm -qa`
from before the attempted update would be very handy. (aka,
info to reproduce this)

Adrian