Allowing a user administrative tasks without roots password

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at freemail.hu
Tue Oct 14 09:46:49 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have put

auth       sufficient   pam_localuser.so

into /etc/pam.d/printconf-gui, so it looks now:

# cat printconf-gui
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   pam_rootok.so
auth       sufficient   pam_timestamp.so
auth       sufficient   pam_localuser.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_permit.so
session    optional     pam_xauth.so
session    optional     pam_timestamp.so
account    required     pam_permit.so

Now starting 'Printing' from the System Settings menu
does not asks the root password. However, starting
the Print Manager from the panel and editing settings
of a printer still asks. To avoid this the same
modification is needed in /etc/pam.d/redhat-config-printer-gui.
Why is there two pam config file for these? They start the same
task...

But there is a bad security side-effect of this.
The user gains superuser privileges and all tools
from the System Settings menu can be started.
It shouldn't happen.

What I would like is to allow *some* sysadmin tasks
for certain/all users but disallow everything else.

auth sufficient pam_localuser.so   # all local user

or

auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so USER ingroup printersettings
		# certain users are in printersettings group

What I would like to achieve is to /usr/bin/pam-panel-icon
not appear on the panel for those services that automagically
succeeded. It should still show up when a task asked for a
root password and correctly got it.

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi