Experiences with severn test3

Müller Miklós mmuller at lbcons.net
Tue Oct 14 13:01:36 UTC 2003

Today I installed severn test3 from scratch on my HP Omnibook
500 laptop from scratch.  Since i dont use my docking station,
i don't have a floppy or CD drive in my laptop, therefore i
used the images found in images/pxeboot to create a new grub
entry for severn installation.

Then i rebooted my laptop and started the installation over
http from another host in our LAN.

0. I installed with the "Workstation" option, erasing the
root partition.

1. The installation did not switch to GUI mode.  I can't remember
well, but AFAIR test2 did switch to GUI mode. Is this an error
or does it work as intended?

2. Rebooting after installation the graphical boot screen was
hanging too long at "Detecting new hardware" so I switched to
detailed mode, and saw Kudzu waiting for user interaction. I
was lucky that kudzu did not time out yet, I still had a few
seconds to enter in kudzu. Now kudzu told me that my pcmcia
ehternet/serial combo was removed which was absolutely not the
case! I decided to keep the configuration. After this small
intermezzo, everything went well, kudzu did not complain about
my pcmcia card at subsequent reboots. I think that:

a) kudzu behaviour should be fixed regarding pcmcia devices.

b) the graphical boot is nice, but it should somehow recognize
if the console is waiting for user interaction such as kudzu
and switch to detailed mode otherwise users might miss something
important at boot.

3. Logging in first I am missing all the Openoffice.org
icons. The openoffice.org rpms are all installed.  (I installed
with the Workstation options, without customizing the software
selection at all). Do I have to configure something to have
those icons back on my taskbar?

Thats all for the moment. Before filing those problems to
bugzilla, I'd like to have your comments.

Cheers

Miklos