Grub and `other' OS

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 15 03:13:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 11:33, Harry Putnam wrote:
> It gives examples of setting vga by appending to the root line like:
>
>     kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=ask
>
> doing this and selectinbg various of those offered I see the selected
> size only lasts about 100 or so lines then the standard size
> re-emerges so that most of teh boot messages are in the standard size
> instead of what ever was selected.
>
> Anyone know what that is the case?

You can get a better resolution by using your video cards frame buffer.

>From the file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

    | 640x480  800x600  1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 |  0x301    0x303    0x305    0x307
32k |  0x310    0x313    0x316    0x319
64k |  0x311    0x314    0x317    0x31A
16M |  0x312    0x315    0x318    0x31B

Use one of these numbers instead of the ask value for vga.  On my
laptop, I use 800x600 @ 64k by appending vga=0x314 to my kernel line
in grub.conf.

Jim Drabb
--