XFree86 available via yum

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 10:56:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

>[snip]
>> make them available in both locations.  Personally, I favour ftp,
>> as it works with commandline ncftp, etc. and I dislike using text
>> web browsers in place of commandline ftp clients...  ;o)
>
>lftp is a command-line FTP client that supports HTTP, however :)
>To see this, try: lftp http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/
>If you're still not convinced, change the "http" to "ftp" and watch it
>fail.

I'm not looking for new software tools however.  ncftp, mc, and
other tools I use now and have used for 8+ years still work
perfectly fine for me today.  I use FTP both graphically in
mozilla, fullscreen in text with Midnight Commander's ftpfs
virtual filesystem, and with ncftp and other commandline tools
like wget, etc.  They work fine.   I use mozilla mostly for web
browsing.

The ftp protocol while sometimes a PITA to IP filter effectively
in either direction, is quite functional, and it does support
features which generally all commandline ftp clients, and many
GUI ftp clients do not support.  HTTP either doesn't support that
at all, or if it does, it isn't commonly known and/or implemented
in common web browser software.

Either way, even if I could chmod files, create directories, move
things, etc. with HTTP, I'm not about to change 8 years of habits
for no really useful gain.  ;o)