Fedora Graphic Boot process

Wed Oct 15 19:55:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Clifford Snow wrote:

> I know this is picky.  Let's face it, how often do we really need to
> reboot?

One of my [BSD user] friends said this to me too.  But the more we got
non-traditional unix users onto linux, the more stuff like this will
matter.

> BTW - I'm not even too sure that I like the graphical boot.  I noticed
> today that one of my services failed.  Since it was the NTPD I probably
> wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't clicked on details.

I can see two good options here:
a.) some message is shown on the screen if and only when there is a
problem. (in some cases, "problems" might be normal thoguh.. like initing
the wireless card when you're not in rance..)
b.) some utility like logcheck set up by default to email users in a
friendly way.  Like "ActiveMonitor" on Sun Cobalt boxes, sent me a message
before "The collision rate on eth1 is getting high.. you should consider
moving it to a switch, or spreading the load to other machines"...
surprised me.

 -- noah silva