Problems with the Add/Remove package tool

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Oct 16 02:41:40 UTC 2003

Stuart B wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I can't seem to get the add/remove package tool to work at all. Every
> time I try adding a new package it simply informs me to insert cd1 or
> cd2 or whatever which I then do... and then it reads the cd... and goes
> back to prompting me to insert the cd again. In short I can't install
> anything via the redhat package tool.
>
> This is what I'm running:
>
>    * AMD Baston 2500+ *ASUS A7N8X* 512MB Samsung PC3200
>    * Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200 * Antec 800 Case w/ 430w True Power *
> Maxtor 60GB D740X-6L
>    * Pioneer 16x DVD Slot Load * Lite-on 40x12x48x Burner * Thermalright
> AX7 w/ Sunon 43cfm
>    * Sound Storm* ACS56 Surround Sound * Viewsonic G90FB Monitor
>
> Are there any workarounds this bug yet? I tried using bugzilla but it
> drove me half mad trying to make a bug report.

I used nautilus to browse the CD's. After finding the wanted item, I
opened it and redhat-config-packages asked for a password. After that,
it installed the programs without error.

I wanted lynx (CD1) and mc (CD3). Both installed through launching
through the file manager.

The same symptom was encountered with put disc 1 in drive. (Bug filed).
I only tried once, then shot through to the file manager method.

Jim

--
Software uses US measurements, but the OS is in metric...