apt vs yum

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Oct 16 08:06:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:01:41PM -0400, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:

> > > I think it is pretty much a matter of which side of the religion you wish
> > > to be on. Personally I lean toward yum but that is just me.
>
> Seems like "redhat people" like YUM better, while "Debian people" like APT
> better.. then again it was a rh based distro that ported APT.
>
> APT supposedly did some dirty tricks with RPM in the past..
> then again YUM seems to me infinitely slower than apt, and I like being
> able to use the same tool on my debian and redhat machines.
apt is a bit nicer to use, although it's a bit too anal about dependancies
IMHO.

yum is a lot easier to setup on the server end. Hhopefully this
has been improved for apt lately, setting up the directory hierarchy for
it was not trivial last time I tried it.

Personally I use yum, mostly because it's in the distro and rawhide
repositories are everywhere.

--
Pekka Pietikainen