apt vs yum

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Oct 16 09:12:43 UTC 2003

Quoting Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg at pvv.org>:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 10:14, Mark Derricutt wrote:
>
> > Speaking of yum server setups, anyone know of any HOWTO guides on setting
> > up a yum repository?   I've got a few rpms I'm building and was thinking
> > of apt-ifying, but wouldn't mind checking out yum...
>
> yum-arch <directory-with-rpms>
>
> Done.
>
> I much prefer yum... apt doesn't handle kernels

It does *handle* them but doesn't upgrade automatically :) Or rather, unless
kernel was marked special in apt.conf it would do that as well but not with the
intended way of installing alongside instead of upgrading. The apt in fedora.us
repository can do that too if you set RPM::Upgrade-Kernel = true (off by
default) or you can grab the kernel-upgrade.lua script from
http://laiskiainen.org/apt/lua/ to use with any recent apt.

> and sometimes lead to
> weird scenarios where packages just disappear for no good reason.

There's a reason always for removing packages but the reasons can be non-obvious
at times :)

--
    - Panu -