CD mounting problem

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 17 00:05:41 UTC 2003

Brian McKie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a clean install of Test 3. I was using Test 1 and was very
> happy with it. I had burned all my data files to a cd's and when I tried
> to mount the cd's I get this error message.
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> This is the first time I have seen this error, what is going on?
>
> Thanks, Brian

I had a similar problem related to /dev/cdrom pointing to /dev/hdc
instead of /dev/scd0

What does running the below commad from a terminal display for you?

ls -la /dev/cdrom

It should be similar to the below. If it shows /dev/hdx you might need
to edit your symlink or just change the device line to /dev/scd0 in
place of /dev/cdrom in your /etc/fstab file. (first entry, not the
/mnt/cdrom entry)

ls -la /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root    9 Oct  7 18:32 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

Jim

--
It shall be unlawful for any suspicious person to be within the
municipality.