AMD Athlon64 Systems -- dual-940 boards with AGP+PCI-X are still costly ...

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Oct 17 08:28:10 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:06:33PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> >> Right now the tests I could think of include:
> >>
> >>* openssl "speed" test
> >>* oggenc
> >kernel compile?
>
> I think a kernel compile would be a useless comparison because you would
> be using completely different compilers to make two kernels for
> different archs.  That is not very representative of anything.
You could always do a crosscompiler and benchmark that.

What I would find very interesting is gmpbench (http://www.swox.com/gmp/gmpbench.html)
even though there's  no athlon64-optimized assembler in the current gmp,
both with SSE2-optimized 32-bit and 64-bit gmp.

We've done some gmp benchmarks ourselves, fastest thing out there seems to
be out there is the good old Alpha (well, 21364 at 1 GHz :-) ) followed
 by Itanium 2 1GHz (1.5 GHz should be about the same as the Alpha). 32-bit
CPU's are somewhat slower even at 2.4 GHz :-)

--
Pekka Pietikainen