AMD Athlon64 Systems

Fri Oct 17 15:39:55 UTC 2003

> Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> > Yes, they should work on any AMD64 systems, but should also be considered
> > been running the first isos I made from test 2 for a couple of weeks now,
> > and stability has not been much of an issue.
>
> Does a 64bit mozilla even make sense right now?
> I'd think just using the 32bit version would be fine. And no issues with
> plugins.

Even with 32bit, if you use a newer GCC to compile Mozilla, a lot of the
plugins won't work. (f.e. flash compiled with GCC 2.8).

> FWIW, I work with 64bit Solaris8, but most apps are still 32bit.
> Mozilla, OpenOffice.org for sure. I think all of GNOME is still 32bit
> here. I would like to see a 64bit GIMP though...

Solaris has a better model for supporting both, however.
I think the problem comes from, for example:
When you compile a program in GCC by default, is "int" 64bit or 32bit?
and if programs and shared libraries link together or pass structures
around, the difference becomes important..

> What is the 32/64 bit split in Sparc linux distros? PowerPC distros?

Interestingly, I run [debian] linux on both sparc and powerpc, and have
never run into anything, probably since I mainly use prepackaged stuff on
those machines.

> 	-Thomas

 -- noah silva